Southern Maryland Divers, llc
Course Dates: Classes are taught on demand to work with your schedule
Course location: Your course location will be set by your instructor when you register for class but will be located within the Southern Maryland Area. With advanced notice, PADI approval, and a minimum of 4 students, we can travel to your location to teach the AI course.
Course Fee: $650.00
Course fee includes instruction, tanks / fills for pool sessions, and weights. Students are responsible for all gear, quarry entry fee's, air fills at the quarry, and the PADI Instructor Crew-Pak which is available at a discount to students enrolled in our class.
Questions on specifics of this course can be directed to Staff Instructor Jacob Hill.
Southern Maryland's premier scuba shop
PADI Assistant Instructor Course
Have you ever thought about becoming a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor but you were not sure if you wanted to invest the time and money into the course? The PADI Assistant Instructor Course is the first portion of the PADI Instructor Development Course (IDC). As a PADI Assistant Instructor, you not only gain additional experience as a PADI Professional scuba diver, but you also start learning the PADI System of diver education. You can act as an instructional scuba assistant and assume limited teaching responsibilities. It’s a great way to gain experience in order to become a scuba instructor.
Beyond the responsibilities and duties they already have as PADI Divemasters, renewed PADI Assistant Instructors are authorized to:
- Present the knowledge development elaboration for any PADI Diver course under the instructor’s indirect supervision.
- Present initial skills training under the instructor’s direct supervision during confined water dives.
- Conduct open water surface skill evaluations during Open Water Diver course dives under the instructor’s indirect supervision.
- Teach and certify Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialty Divers under the direction of an instructor.
- Independently teach the Project AWARE (non-diving) Specialty course.
- Independently teach the AWARE - Coral Reef Conservation (non-diving) Specialty course.
- Independently conduct Discover Scuba Diving in a pool or confined water.
- Independently conduct Bubblemaker programs.
- Independently conduct PADI Seal Team AquaMissions.
- Teach and certify divers in specialty courses that don’t include dives after completing Specialty Instructor Training courses and earning Specialty Instructor ratings for such specialties.
- After completing the corresponding instructor training and earning Specialty Instructor ratings, conduct Digital Underwater Photographer specialty courses under the direction of a PADI Instructor.
- PADI Divemaster, or leadership level with another diver training organization.
- 18 years old
- 60 logged dives; documented experience in night diving, deep diving and underwater navigation.
- Certified diver for six months
- Medical clearance attesting to dive fitness signed by a physician within the previous 12 months
- Emergency First Response Primary and Secondary Care course completion (or qualifying training) within the last 24 months
- If not a PADI Divemaster, complete the PADI Divemaster course dive rescue assessment and submit documentation of qualifying certifications for entry level, advanced, rescue and leadership level to PADI.