Southern Maryland Divers, llc
Like other merit badges, the Scuba Diving merit badge has been developed to teach and train youth in a manner consistent with the overall goals and values of the Boy Scouts of America.
Unlike many other merit badges, the Scuba Diving critical prerequisites, knowledge, and skills are not itemized in the requirements nor adequately covered in the pamphlet. The requirement to earn Open Water Diver Certification means the Scout must meet training requirements set by outside agencies and must supplement the material in this pamphlet with an entry-level scuba diver manual
1) Do the following:
a. Show that you know first aid for injuries or illnesses that could occur while scuba diving, including hypothermia, hyperventilation, squeezes, decompression illness, nitrogen narcosis, motion sickness, fatigue, overexertion, heat reactions, dehydration, injuries by aquatic life, and cuts and scrapes.
b. Identify the conditions that must exist before performing CPR on a person, and explain how to recognize such conditions. Demonstrate the proper technique for performing CPR using a training device approved by your counselor.
2) Before completing requirements 3 through 6, earn the Swimming merit badge.
3) Discuss the Scuba Diver's Code with your merit badge counselor, and explain the importance of each guideline to a scuba diver's safety.
4) Earn an Open Water Diver Certification from a scuba organization recognized by the Boy Scouts of America scuba policy.
5) Explain what an ecosystem is, and describe four aquatic ecosystems a diver might experience.
6) Find out about three career opportunities in the scuba industry. Pick one and find out the education, training, and experience required for this profession. Discuss this with your counselor, and explain why this profession might interest you.
Southern Maryland Divers provides the Scuba Diving Merit Badge Instruction at no additional cost for qualified students. Scouts wishing to complete the requirements for the merit badge should contact the shop to sign up for one of our regularly held PADI Open Water Diver classes being taught by instructor Jon Vieley.
Southern Maryland Divers instructor Jon Vieley is a SCUBA Diving Merit Badge Counselor for the National Capital Area Council and can issue the merit badge to scouts upon successful completion of the PADI Open Water Diver course. Not only will scouts receive the merit badge, but they will be certified as a PADI Open Water Diver! This certification is good for a lifetime and promises exciting adventures around every coral reef corner.